Thursday, August 5, 2010

Oat Bread

I always bake my mom's whole wheat bread recipe, but last summer I was away and didn't have my wheat grinder, and when I used store-bought whole wheat it just was heavy and not the same. SO I tried this recipe and oh, it is sooo good! Its chewy and soft and so delicious as toast. So every now and again I have to switch it up and bake this.

1 c oats
2 c boiling water
1/3 c warm water (to activate yeast)
2 T yeast
1/2 c honey
1 T salt
2 T melted butter or oil
1 1/2 c wheat flour
3 c white flour

In mixing bowl, add oats and pour the boiling water over to soak and soften. Meanwhile, place yeast and 1/3 c water in a small bowl to allow yeast to activate. Once the oats have softened and cooled a little, but are still warm, add the honey, salt, butter, and yeast mixture. Mix together, then add flours. Continue mixing until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
Let rise, covered, until doubled. Spray 2 loaf pans and dust with oatmeal. Shape dough and place in pans. Lightly drizzle loaves with honey and then sprinkle with oats. Let rise again until the dough reaches the top of the pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or till golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment