Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Em's Chicken Pot Pie

This is the recipe for how I make chicken pot-pie. I never use a recipe for it, just play it by ear, but the last couple times I made it, it turned out so delicious Mike was like, write this down! So I sat down and wrote it out. I've been getting better at making pie crust lately, and the main trick I've found is to roll out the dough between saran wrap, so you don't have to add more flour, which makes a tougher pastry: less flaky. You can just do a top crust, but I love as much pie crust as I can get. :)

Use your favorite pie crust recipe, (mine follows below) and roll out a bottom crust.

In a medium heat/size saucepan melt:
1/4 c butter
once its lightly sizzling add:
1/4 c flour
stir in a pinch of dried rosemary
1 t. garlic powder
pinch of pepper
1 heaping t. chicken bouillon or 2 cubes
pinch of parsley
salt to taste
dash of worchestershire sauce

Once the butter and flour have combined and are bubbling together slowly add enough evaporated milk or whole milk, or whatever milk you have on hand! Add enough to get a nice thick, soupy consistency.

I bake 1 large chicken breast @400 till done, 20 min. or so. Drizzle it with olive oil and salt and pepper. I cover my pan with foil so I don't have to clean up!
Once done, cut and add to sauce. (or use leftover chicken, canned chicken, this recipe is flexible)

I add in 1/2 bag of mixed veggies.

Simmer this all together while your rolling out the top crust. Assemble as you would a normal pie.

Bake 400 for 30-40 minutes, or till golden brown and fragrant.

*keep the sauce not too thick, still pourable off the spoon, but a nice thick soupy consistency.

Sandra Bond's Pie Crust:
I got this recipe from a lady in my ward. She is the "baking lady" but even more the "pie lady". People go crazy for her pies! She did an enrichment pie making class and gave away all her secrets. But shes still the best pie baker.
Anyways, this is the one I usually use.

Double Crust:

2 1/4 c flour
1 t. salt
3/4 cup plus 2 T shortening
1/3 c ice water

Combine flour, salt and shortening. Blend with pastry blender to a crumb texture. (just barely) Add ice water a little @ a time mixing it in w/a fork until the mixture is damp enough to form a smooth firm ball. Cut ball in half and press each half into a smooth, flat circle. Roll out.

No comments:

Post a Comment