Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Chocolate Banana Bran Muffins


Ever wonder where I got my love of cooking? My mom is amazing in the kitchen. She rarely uses a recipe, and can whip up creative, yummy meals so fast. I was forever following her around as a kid, sitting on the counter as she cooked. Anyways, there is this recipe she used from this healthy bran cookbook, but she somehow came up with the brilliant idea of adding cocoa pwd. and chocolate chips to a banana date muffin. (leaving out the dates) I remember grabbing these to eat on the bus on the way to school. I loved them. I was craving them and had to bust out the recipe. (this cookbook has some other great recipes I need to add to this cookbook: brown sugar chocolate chip cookies w/tons of bran/w.w. flour, and these double chocolate cookies...we used to eat those for breakfast too without any guilt!)

Ok, here they are!

*you can find wheat/oat bran in the specialty section of most grocery stores. Winco and Broulims have them in the bulk foods section I know. I try to add it to recipes wherever I can, savory and sweet. Just add a little more liquid to the recipe.

These make 12 muffins with 1 Tablespoon of bran per muffin!!

1 cup bran
1 cup w.w. flour
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1/4 c. milk (add more if too dry)
1 1/3 c. mashed ripe bananas
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 eggs
4 T melted butter, or light olive oil
1 t. vanilla
chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare muffin tin.
Mix all ingredients and blend well.
Bake 15-20 minutes, or till toothpick inserted comes clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment